Villains are a new band from Brooklyn, New York. Combining members of such notable groups such as Unearthly Trance, Spaceboy and The Dying Light. They play filthy and confrontational inspired thrash metal. Think Venom and Black Flag watching porn. Grope and grind! Pick up their new CD and listen for yourself. Its out now on Aurora Borealis. I spoke with Teeth, guitar player, about what goes on with Villains......
Teeth/Villains vs. Sam Velde/TV Eye
1. Name, age, sign & instrument?
Teeth, 92, Leo, Guitar
2. Favorite band/album of all time?
Black Flag, My War or Metallica Kill 'Em All . . . hard to have just one. Black Sabbath "Sabotage"
3. Favorite current band/album?
Ludicra, Fex Urbis, Lex Orbis
4. Favorite member of Villains?
The one hanging between my legs . . . "My Favorite Member"
5. What do you like more, writing or rehearsing.....playing live or recording?
Rehearsing and playing live.
6. Is the band a linear identity or a multi-dimensional entity?
Very multi-dimensional. The five of us all have several dimensions to contribute to songwriting, lyrics, artwork and performance - in no particular order.
7. Sum up Villains in one word!
8. Nik Turner or Lemmy Kilmister?
Lemmy, my friend. I saw a cobbled together version of Hawkwind about 15 years ago and I didn't like it. I saw a 60-something Lemmy and his Motorhead group recently and they rocked the house.
9. Does it have to be loud to be heavy?
No, but it helps.
10. Are you involved in any other bands, projects, recordings?
I play in an improv-rock band called The Godoys, an improv-jazz band called J.A.P.P., and a nameless Rudimentary Peni cover band.
11. Are you opposed to the industrial shift from the physical CD/LP to digital music? Will it effect Villains?
Do you mean will it affect Villains? There's not much of an "industrial shift" from CD to digital music. A CD is digital music, and LPs are recorded digitally too. I assume you mean the interknob. Villains has a website with info and fotos and digital sound files. This means of promotion has helped Villains, but we are very into "Record Albums" - meaning a package that you open up play on your stereo, and stare at while listening.
12. How do you feel about playing live in the daytime?
We've never done it, but we've been itching to play parties since we started the band.
13. Does music have to have reference points, is it possible to create it without?
Music doesn't have to have anything. It's possible to create it with just about everything, you know? Like the olde days with a stick and some cowhide, or a seashell.
14. What are Villains' reference points?
Beer, Sodom, Whiskey, Chemistry, Slayer, Grass, Venom, Knives, Hellhammer, Chicks, Guitars, Food, Fingernails (the band), Women, Broken Glass, Aggression
15. Next on the schedule for Villains (touring, records, etc.)?
We're planning on going to England in the summer. Our CD "Drenched In The Poisons" just came out on Aurora Borealis and the vinyl version is coming out in the Spring on Nuclear War Now! Productions. We're doing a split 7" with the Italian legends, Fingernails that Nuclear War Now! is gonna put out. New songs are coming together faster than ever with no shortage of surprises. Musical chairs!